SMALL FISHING TOWN
In the first records from the Middle Ages Fažana is mentioned as a small fishing town close to Vodnjan, after which the sea passage between land and the Brijuni Islands was named. Fishing was one of the important activities of the locals, which engaged almost entire families. While the men went fishing, women were responsible for cleaning their nets when they returned. The locals are still keen about fishing. Even today when passing along the waterfront by the small family-owned boats in the morning hours you will often have a chance to witness such a memorable sight.
There are many details that illustrate the significance of fishing in Fažana: fisherman's fraternity "St. Andrew" during Napoleon's rule, one of the largest fish (pilchard) processing plants in the Croatian Adriatic up to 1952, as many as 47 registered fishing boats in Fažana in 1910, as well as a shipyard for the construction and repair of fishing boats at the beginning of the 20th century.
Oily fish was mostly caught: pilchard, anchovy, mackerel... and sold to the neighboring population, used for the needs of hotels on the Brijuni Islands or the fish processing plant. But, fish from Fažana was exported as well. The regular boat service between Pula and Trieste also included Fažana as its port of call, so lobsters and crabs "grancevole" could be taken from Fažana to be served at banquets in Trieste and Vienna.